Protein Puck for Pregnancy
Photo by: Lauren Giuffre
Can food choices help to promote a healthy pregnancy for both Mommy and her future baby? Certainly! But what about Mom’s on the go, needing a healthy snack or meal replacement as she attends to her busy, active schedule? Enter the Protein Puck, where an active mother to be can find a healthy snack and meal replacement alternatives, that promote a healthy pregnancy in the following ways:
Benefit Number One: Pumpkin Seeds
- Aids in production of RBC’s (carry 0-2). Second highest iron content after sesame seeds.
- B Vitamins. High levels of energy production. (energy needs are higher during pregnancy).
- Most important B vitamins during pregnancy (help to prevent neural tube defects). 1 oz. of pumpkin seeds = 16 mg of folate.
- Aids in production of DNA and helps fuel rapid cell growth (occurs in developing baby). ½ oz of pumpkin seeds = 1.1 mg of Zinc. A Pregnant woman should have 13 mg of Zinc per day. Zinc deficiency may be linked to low birth weights, toxemia and even miscarriages.
- Healthy Fats. Plant proteins and other ingredients in the Puck offer a good source of healthy, unsaturated fats. Omega 3’s boost the baby’s brain activity and development.
Benefit Number Two: Sunflower Seeds
- Provide a rich source of folic acid.
- Vitamin E- antioxidants that can battle toxins and harmful radicals.
- Magnesium – Help to stabilize sugar levels.
- Help to strengthen your immune system.
- Phosphorus- Helps baby’s bones to develop and strengthen.
- Fiber – Helps with digestion, which can become a challenge as the baby grows.
Benefit Number Three: Flax Seeds
- Can help prevent future metabolic disease and promote health as the baby grows.
- Offer two important fatty acids: Omega 3 fatty acid and linoleic acid.
- Helps to relieve pregnancy constipation.
- Can help to control blood sugar levels.